The kayaks have evolved over the years. With new techniques and skills, every day we see new types of kayaks. In this article, I’ll tell you about different types of kayaks and tips for buying your first kayak.
Every kayak has different pros and cons depending on the situation, you must know them before buying:
1. SIT-ON-TOP KAYAKS
- Easy to get in and get out due to its open cockpit
- Good for a beginner
- If you are tall, you can easily fit in it
- You have chances to get wet due to splashes of water
- Good for fishing
- Mostly used in warm water or in summer
2. SIT-IN KAYAKS
- They closed cockpit
- Can be used in both warm and cold weather, and a spray skirt is given, which helps you to keep drier in cold weather.
- Have more storage to store your belongings like chips, if you are a foodie like me
- Have foot braces which give you more power
3. TOURING KAYAKS
- Longer like 10 to 12 feet
- If you are adventurous, these are good for you
- Most expensive
- Have closed cockpit
- Narrow, but fast
- Used for long trips
- Not easy to store
4. Pedaling kayaks
- Good for fishing
- If you have back and shoulder problems, these are best for you
5. Crossover Kayaks
- Have a pole holder for fishing
- Lack the high-end performance
- good for rivers that behave like low-grade rapids
6. Inflatable flatwater kayaks
- Easily storable
- I don’t consider these favorable because they are like toys and track very badly.
7. Recreational kayak
- Have a closed cockpit
- Usually smaller than touring kayaks
- Nice in summer
- Do not track well
Tips to buy a kayak:
Following these tips should help you find the perfect kayak for your needs and budget:
- When you’re in the market for a kayak, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind in order to make sure you get the best possible deal. First and foremost, you’ll need to decide what type of kayak you want. Are you looking for a sit-in or sit-on-top? Go throw some YouTube videos to have a perfect view. It might also be worth having a quick chat with your local retailer if you’re splashing the cash; to make sure what you are spending money on is correct. What kind of material do you want the kayak to be made out of?
- Once you’ve decided on the type of kayak you want, it’s time to start shopping around. Check out your local sporting goods stores, as well as online retailers. Compare prices and don’t be afraid to haggle a bit. If you find a kayak you like but the price is a bit out of your budget, see if the store is willing to negotiate.
- When you finally find the perfect kayak at the right price, make sure to inspect it thoroughly before you make your purchase. If you’re buying a used kayak, be sure to ask about its history and how it’s been cared for.
How to maintain a kayak:
Store Your Kayak Properly
You cannot use your kayak every day, so it is important to know how to store your kayak properly. To ensure your kayak remains in good condition, it is important to store it properly when not in use. If you live in an area with harsh weather conditions, it is best to store your kayak indoors.
If this is not possible, you can store your kayak under a tarp or in a storage shed. Be sure to clean your kayak before storing it, and check it for any damage that may have occurred while it was in use. If you notice any damage, be sure to repair it before storing your kayak.
Clean your kayak properly
Cleaning a kayak is important to do on a regular basis, especially if you use it frequently. Here are some tips on how to clean a kayak:
- First, remove any debris or dirt from the surface of the kayak using a soft brush or cloth.
- Next, rinse the kayak with fresh water to remove any saltwater or residue.
- Finally, use a mild soap and water solution to clean the inside and outside of the kayak. Be sure to rinse the kayak thoroughly afterward.
Keep it away from insects
Insects and other bugs can destroy anything. So it is important to spray these properly and then store them properly.
Some safety precautions:
Always wear a lifejacket
Don’t forget to wear a lifejacket on the journey on your kayak. Don’t forget to wear comfortable jackets, because an uncomfortable jacket can make your experience a little boring or uncomfortable.
Practice a kayak little
Learn some lessons on a kayak through YouTube or from an instructor before going toward a final kayak session. You will enjoy it more if you have a lot of knowledge about it, like how to turn, how to paddle, etc.
Beware of weather condition
Before going on your trip, you should check out the weather conditions on your mobile app.
Check out the temperature of the water
If you are going to paddle in cold weather, wear a dry suit or a jacket, and try to avoid getting wet. Through this, you will feel comfortable.
Follow these rules to make your kayaking more enjoyable:
Rules are always there to help you and to make your journey easy, always follow the boating rules.
- Don’t use drugs or alcohol
- Dress properly
Buying a kayak can be a daunting task, especially if you’ve never owned one before. That’s why we wanted to do an article on the different types of kayaks and kayak features as well as where you can buy a kayak and how you can maintain it. We hope that after reading this article, you’ll be able to choose the right kayak for you.